This article will walk you through how to setup custom scenes using your Inovelli Red Series Lightstrip & Controller Kit
and the LZW45 Device Handler
. Z-Wave Scenes are useful if you want to control multiple smart devices or trigger routines. For example, you can press the configuration button on your controller between the hours of 10pm and 7am to trigger a bedtime scene which turns off all lights, locks the doors, closes the garage door and sets the temperature to 68.
- Inovelli Red Series Lightstrip & Controller Kit: LZW45 Lightstrip & Controller must be installed, powered on and paired to your SmartThings Hub
- Device Handler Installed & Applied: LZW45 Device Handler Instructions
- SmartThings (New) App: In this article, we will use the new app since SmartThings has discontinued their Classic App
There are a few housekeeping points to go through prior to setting up your first notification. Hang in there, we'll have you up and impressing yourself in no time!
Installing Your Controller
Installing the Device Handler
You're now ready to create some scenes!
Alright, let's create our first scene. In this example, we'll create a scene that turns off all lights between the hours of 10pm and 7am when you press the configuration button.
Understanding Button Mapping
Before we create this scene, it's important to understand the logic behind how they work. Basically, each scene needs to be connected (or mapped) to a button. Think of each button controlling a separate scene. These buttons are virtual buttons built into your controller and they are as follows:
- Button 0 = Release Up or Down (after 3 seconds)
- Button 1 = Tap Up or Down 1x
- Button 2 = Tap Up or Down 2x
- Button 3 = Tap Up or Down 3x
- Button 4 = Tap Up or Down 4x
- Button 5 = Tap Up or Down 5x
- Button 6 = Hold Up or Down 3 seconds
- Button 7 = Tap Config Button 1x
In addition, each button has two, "sub-buttons" (confusing, I know). This tells the hub whether you're pressing up or down on the controller. Always remember: Tap UP = Pushed, Tap DOWN = Held (this will be important later). Here's the button mapping visual for reference:
Setting Up Your Scene
Once you've determined what scene you'd like to create and button you'd like to use, let's set up your scene. Again, in this scenario, we'll create a bedtime scene where you press the config button 1x to turn off your lights between the hours of 10pm and 7am. Let's begin:
- Open up your SmartThings App to the main page
- Click on the three lines to the left of the screen to open up the menu
- Click on, "SmartApps"
- Press the plus, (+) sign to add a SmartApp
- Select, "Smart Lighting"
- Select, "New Lighting Automation"
- Click on, "Which devices do you want to control" and select the lights that you want to turn off
- Click on, "What do you want to do?" and select, "Turn Off"
- Next click, "Select Trigger", select, "Button" and click, "Done"
- Click on, "Which button?", select your Inovelli LZW45 Lightstrip & Controller Kit and click, "Done"
In this example, since we want a double-tap down, go to the button mapping chart
and you'll see that pressing the config button 1x is, "Button 7 Pushed"
- Click on, "Button Number", select, "Seven" and click, "Done"
- Next click, "Button Action", select, "Pushed" and click, "Done"
- Turn, "Toggle on & off" to off
Since we want to set specific times, we'll use the, "More Options" section
- Click, "More Options"
- Click on, "Only During Certain Times", select your, "Start Time" to be 10pm and your, "End Time" to 7am and click, "Next"
- Click, "Next" again
- If you want to rename the automation so you can easily remember it, feel free to do so -- if not, then click, "Done"
That's it! Feel free to test your scene out (make sure if you put any time constraints on it that you're testing it within those time constraints).
We'll come back to this one and create a tutorial when we have a bit more free time, but if you're savvy with installing custom SmartApp's, we recommend you install ABC Button Controller
for more advanced features to create more custom scenes.