This article will walk you through how to setup your Inovelli Dimmer Switch (Black Series) from an in-wall installation to pairing it to your Wink Hub. For more advanced features such as Parameter Configuration, please see the recommended articles below.
Parameter Configuration (Coming Soon)
- Wiring: Have an understanding on how to identify the Line (Hot), Load, Neutral and Ground wires.
- Placement: Ensure the switch will be within distance using the Z-Wave Distance Calculator (or roll the dice and install the switch, then use the built-in Z-Wave Signal Strength Detector)
- Tools: Multimeter, Phillips Screwdriver, Needle-Nose Pliers (Optional), Wire Stripper (Optional)
- Switch Overview: Understand the basics of the switch, such as the Config Button (A), LED Bar (B), and Line/Load/Neutral/Traveler Terminals as shown in the Spec Sheet - Getting to Know Your Switch section
If you are unsure how to determine the various wires, please consult an electrician. We are unable to give electrical advice due to liability concerns.
The first step is to review the terminology below to understand what kind of setup you have currently and then determine the setup you'd like to create.
- Line: This is where your power (120V AC) comes from and is considered your, "Hot" wire. Usually a black wire.
- Load: This is what your switch controls (ie: your light). Usually a black wire.
- Neutral: Completes your circuit (and is what powers your Z-Wave chip). Usually a white wire.
- Traveler (Optional): This is used in a 3-Way or Multi-Switch setup. Usually a red wire.
- Single Pole: One switch that controls your Load
- 3-Way: Two switches that control your Load
- 4-Way: Three switches that control your Load
Understanding Your Setup
Now that you understand the terminology, it's time to understand what setup you have, and what setup you'd like to create. Here are the questions you should ask yourself before looking at the schematics.
- Do I have a neutral wire (if the answer is no, you'll need to purchase our LZW31 or LZW31-SN Dimmer Switches)
- How many switches control my Load?
- Do I want to leave my dumb/existing switch in or replace it with an Auxiliary Switch?
Once these questions have been answered, look at the Wiring Guide
and prepare for installation.
Installing Your Switch
After reviewing the Wiring Guide
and determining your setup, it's time to install your switch. Again, if you don't know what you're doing, please don't try this on your own and consult an electrician. We cannot give out electrical advice due to liability reasons.
- Carefully pull your existing switch out from the wall to determine where the Line and Load wires are located and keep note
- NOTE: In a 3-Way, 4-Way or Multi-Switch setting, the Inovelli switch needs to be installed where the Line wire is located
- Go to the circuit breaker and turn off power to the switch
- Remove the wires from the existing switch and follow the Wiring Guide schematics
- Make sure the wires are tightly secured before finalizing the installation as loose wires will cause problems
- Carefully finish installing the switch into the wall and put the faceplate on
- Restore power and test your switch for manual operation
Z-Wave Range Detection (Optional)
This step is optional, but it will allow you to understand if your switch is within range of your Wink Z-Wave antenna.
- Hold down the Configuration Button (A) for five (5) seconds until the LED Bar (B) lights up GREEN
- Once it lights up GREEN, release the Configuration Button (A)
- If the LED Bar (B) stays GREEN, the device is within range
- If the LED Bar (B) turns RED, the device is not within range and needs to be moved
NOTE: Sometimes the LED bar lights up RED and the switch is within range. While rare, this has been reported on some of the switches. If you're confident your switch is within range, please proceed to the, "Pairing (Inclusion) Steps" below.
Pairing (Inclusion) Steps
- Open up your Wink app and click on the menu
- Then click on, “Add to Wink”
- Next, select, “Lighting” followed by, “Lights”
- Finally, click, “Generic Z-Wave Light Bulb”
- Then click, “Next” (where it says, “Refer to the product manual”)
- On the, “Select HUB” screen, select your HUB of choice, followed by, “Next”
- Keep clicking on next until you reach, “Connect Now”
- Press, “Connect Now” and Wink will automatically start looking for devices (it will be flashing blue)
- Press your switch Config Button (the button at the top right of the switch) 3x until the switch starts pulsing blue (this means it's in inclusion mode)
- If successful, your switch will turn GREEN -- if unsuccessful, it will turn RED (if your Wink App doesn't find the switch, exit out of the app and open it back up -- if the switch itself flashed GREEN, it means it was successful)
- You should now see that your device is detected (“Switch” or “Unknown” should appear)
Excluding (Factory Resetting) the Switch
Sometimes the switch will not pair and needs to be factory reset. There are a couple of ways to do this. The first is via the switch itself, while the second is via the Wink App.
Resetting via the Switch
- Hold down the Config Button (A) for 20 Seconds or until it turns/blinks RED
Resetting via the Wink App
- In the, “Main Menu” click on, “Hubs”
- Then, from the, “Hubs” menu, please click on the three dots on the top right of the screen
- Next, select the HUB you’ll be pairing your device to
- Scroll down to where it says, “Z-Wave Controls” and click on it
- Make sure you can see your HUB (this is optional, but helpful) and once ready, press, “Exclusion Mode”
- Your HUB will begin flashing BLUE
- Press your switch Config Button (the button at the top right of the switch) 3x until the switch starts pulsing blue (this means it's in exclusion mode)
- If successful, your switch will turn GREEN -- if unsuccessful, it will turn RED
To access some of the advanced functionality of the switch, such as adjusting the dim speed, how fast/slow the light turns on, the LED color, etc, we've allowed you to do this directly from the switch. Stay tuned for an article that walks through how to do this. As always, if you need help, please reach out
, we're happy to assist.