Installation & Setup | LZW45 | Red Series Smart LED Strip & Controller | SmartThings
Abbreviated Instructions for Pairing
In the SmartThings App, click on the (+) button, then "Device", then Scan QR Code (located on the back of your controller). Next, click, "Start", select your hub and room where you'd like your lightstrip to show up and click, "Next". Finally, click on the config button (Button A - Figure 1.1) 3x rapidly until the LED strip pulses blue. Once complete, the LED strip should flash GREEN if successful and you'll be taken to a screen where you can rename the lightstrip (if it flashes RED, then it was not successful and you may have to either move closer or try an Exclusion
Sometimes it will make you scan the QR Code again (please do so) or it will say something like, "Not all Security Features Implemented" -- you can either ignore this (lightstrip controller will be paired with S0 Encryption) or try pairing closer to the hub (to get S2 Encryption).
Figure 1.1 - Lightstrip Controller Overview
This article will walk you through how to setup your Inovelli Lightstrip Controller (Red Series) from an in-wall installation to pairing it to your Samsung SmartThings Hub. For more advanced features such as Parameter Configuration, Device Handler Installation, Setting Up Notifications and Scenes/Routines, please see the recommended articles below.
Adding to SmartThings
As of February 23, 2020, SmartThings is transitioning its users to the new SmartThings App and the Classic App will be phased out. Therefore our instructions will only be available for the new app.
Z-Wave Range Detection (Optional)
This step is optional, but it will allow you to understand if your controller is within range of your SmartThings Z-Wave antenna.
- Hold down on the top of the light config button (Button A - Figure 1.1) and light button (Button B - Figure 1.1) for 5 seconds and release it
- If the LED Bar (B) is GREEN, the device is within range
- If the LED Bar (B) is RED, the device is not within range and needs to be moved
Installing the Device Handlers (Mandatory)
For optimal performance and to access all the advanced features, you'll need to install our custom device handlers. We recommend you do this first before pairing your controller. We wanted to keep this article short, so we've created a separate page for installing the handler. It can be found here: LZW45 Device Handler Instructions
Pairing (Inclusion) Steps - S2 Encryption (QR Code)
- Open your SmartThings App
- Press the (+) button at the top right of the screen
- Click on, "Device"
- Click, "Scan QR Code" at the top right of the screen
- Scan the QR Code on the back of the controller
- SmartThings should start the inclusion process - click, "Next" and select your hub and room and then click, "Next" again
- On your Inovelli controller, press the config button (Button A - Figure 1.1) three (3) times quickly (within 1-3 seconds) until the lightstrip pulses blue (as shown below)
- You may have to scan the QR Code again to complete the S2 Pairing
If successful, the lightstrip will turn GREEN momentarily (if unsuccessful, the lightstrip will turn RED momentarily)
Fan/Light switch shown for animation until we create the lightstrip animation (ie: your lightstrip will pulse blue and turn red/green similar to how the Fan/Light switch does)
- In addition, your app will show the controller paired (it should say, "Inovelli Light Strip LZW45" -- if it doesn't, please make sure the Device Handler is installed)
- Click back to the main devices tab and look for your controller!
The device should show up like this in the app if everything is installed correctly:
Excluding (Factory Resetting) the Controller
Sometimes the controller will not pair and needs to be factory reset. There are a couple of ways to do this. The first is via the controller itself, while the second is via the SmartThings App.
Resetting via the Controller
- Hold down on the config button (Button A - Figure 1.1) for 20 seconds until the lightstrip turns RED
Resetting via the SmartThings App
- From the home screen, click on the three lines at the top left of your screen to open the menu
- Click on the, "Devices" icon
- In the search bar, search, "Hub" and select your Hub
- Click on the three dots at the top right of the screen and select, "Z-Wave Utilities"
- Then press, "Z-Wave Exclusion" and the process will start
- On your Inovelli Controller, hold down the config button (Button A - Figure 1.1) three (3) times rapidly (1-3 seconds) until the lightstrip pulses blue
- If the exclusion was successful, the lightstrip should turn from pulsing blue to GREEN
- In addition, the SmartThings app should say that your controller was excluded successfully
For advanced functionality, you'll want to install our device handlers
where you can modify parameters easily, setup notifications, and setup scenes/routines. As always, if you need help, please reach out
, we're happy to assist.