Wiring Diagrams for Dimmer Switches | Gen 1
Wiring Diagrams for Gen 1 Dimmer Switches
These wiring diagrams should only be used for our Gen 1 dimmer switches, which are shown below -- do not use these for Gen 2!
- Neutral Wire is Required
- Inovelli switch needs to be installed where the Line (120V) is located
- Do not use an illuminated dumb switch as your secondary switch
- Max Wattage: See below -- maximum will vary based on bulb type and whether the heat sink tabs are removed or not
- Heat Sink Tabs Not Removed: 500W Incandescent, 150W LED
- One (1) Side Heat Sink Tabs Removed: 400W Incandescent, 150W LED
- Two (2) Sides Heat Sink Tabs Removed: 300W Incandescent, 150W LED
- Inductive Load (fans): Not for use with fans
Not all wire colors shown may be the same as what's in your box. While we've tried our best to match the most common setups, local electrical codes may be different than what's depicted. If your wire colors do not match, please use a multi-meter to check for continuity, hire an electrician or post in our community
where someone can help. Again, we are unable to give specific wiring advice ourselves due to liability issues.
Single-Pole Installation (2-Way)
Please see below for wiring diagrams for a single pole setup. Remember, a neutral wire is required.
Three way installs are when you have two switches controlling one load. Please see below for the various configurations. Note:
You can only use this switch with an existing (dumb) switch and you won't have dimming capability at the dumb (existing) switch. If you'd like to use an auxiliary switch or another smart switch, please purchase our Gen 2 switches
3-Way Installation (Using a Dumb / Existing Switch)
Please see below for Inovelli wiring diagrams for a 3-Way (two switches controlling one load). This assumes you are using a dumb / existing switch as your secondary switch. Remember, a neutral wire is required. In addition, please do not use an illuminated switch for your secondary switch.
PLEASE REMEMBER TO REWIRE BOTH SIDES (SMART SWITCH & DUMB SWITCH).
OPTION 3 REQUIRES REWIRING AT THE FIXTURE AS WELL.