This article will walk you through how to setup custom notifications using your Red Series Switches. A notification is something that allows you to have a heads-up display on your light switch of a certain event taking place. For example, you could have your light switch LED bar blink purple if your front door is unlocked, or chase red if your 4-1 Sensor
detects motion between the hours of 10pm and 6am in the living room. It's time to let your imagination go wild!
These are the switches that currently support LED Bar Notifications:
Red Series On/Off (LZW30-SN), Red Series Dimmer (LZW31-SN), Red Series Fan/Light (LZW36)
Before we get started in setting this scene up, we have to install a device handler
to make sure that SmartThings understands this is a button capable device. In addition to the device handler, you will have to install a child handler as this is what will be used to create the notifications.
Here are the required handlers for each device:
- Red Series On/Off (LZW30-SN): Device Handler Installation Instructions, Device Handler Raw Code, Child Handler Raw Code
- Red Series Dimmer (LZW31-SN): Device Handler Installation Instructions, Device Handler Raw Code, Child Handler Raw Code
- Red Series Fan/Light (LZW36): Device Handler Installation Instructions, Device Handler Raw Code, Child Handler Raw Code
You're now ready to create some notifications!
Alright, let's create our first notification. In this example, we'll create a notification that alerts us when the front door is unlocked between sunset and sunrise. This is helpful if you have a Red Series switch in the bedroom and can see the notification from bed.
There are four (4) different components to every single notification:
- LED Effect Color: This is the color you want your notification to be
- LED Effect Level: This is the dim level you want your notification to be
- LED Effect Duration: This is how long you want your notification to last
- LED Effect Type: This is the animation you want your notification to be
NOTE: For an On/Off or Dimmer Switch, you can clear your notification manually from the switch by tapping 2x on the configuration button. Whereas on the Fan/Light switch, you have two separate LED bars for notifications and if you want to clear a Light LED bar notification, you'd hold down on the top of the Light Rocker and while holding it, press the Light Button 2x. Similarly, for the Fan LED Bar notification, you'd hold down on the top of the Fan Rocker and while holding it, press the Fan Button 2x.
Selecting Your Notification
Once you've determined what you'd like your notification to look like, it's time to select it from within the app. Again, please remember to have installed the child handler otherwise this will not work.
- Open up your SmartThings App
- Select your Inovelli Red Series Switch
- Click the three dots at the top right and select, "Settings"
- Scroll down to the, "LED Notifications" section
- Select your, "Effect Color"
- Select your, "Effect Level"
- Select your, "Effect Duration"
- Select your, "Effect Type"
- Go back to the home screen (where it lists out your rooms)
NOTE: Remember the Fan/Light switch has two different areas to setup notification effects (Fan and Light).
Setting up the Notification
Again, in this example, we'll be setting up a notification that alerts you when the front door is unlocked between sunset and sunrise. The notification will be a purple chase notification at 100% intensity that lasts indefinitely (until you clear it). Once you've selected the effect color, level, duration and type and you're back to the home screen, please do the following:
- Click on the three lines at the top left of the screen (to access the menu)
- Click on, "SmartApps"
- Click on the, (+) sign at the top right to add a SmartApp
- Scroll down and select, "Smart Lighting" and select it
- NOTE: Depending on your SmartThings app version, you might need to do the following to find Smart Lighting
- Click "Automations", then "+", then "Add routine". At the "Add routine" screen you scroll down to the bottom to find "SmartApps"
- Click on, "New Lighting Automation"
- Click on, "Which devices do you want to control", select, "whatever you named your Inovelli Red Series Switch (Notification 1)" and click, "Done"
- NOTE: Look for whatever you named your Red Series Switch and then it should say, "(Notification 1)" next to it. The Fan/Light switch will say, "Fan" or, "Light" before Notification 1.
- Leave, "What do you want to do?" as, "Turn On"
- Click on, "Select Trigger", select, "Lock" and press, "Done"
- Click on, "Which door locks?", select your lock and press, "Done"
- Click on, "Turn on when", select, "Unlocked" and press, "Done"
- Then press, "More options"
- Click on, "Only during certain times"
- Click on, "Starting at", select, "Sunset" and press, "Done"
- Click on, "Ending at", select, "Sunrise" and press, "Done"
- Press, "Next", followed by, "Next" again, and then, "Done"
That should be it!