How To: Set Your Config Button as Your Favorites Button | SmartThings
Many times you just want a quick way to reach a certain dim level or you'd like to activate your favorite scene (ie: turn off all lights between the hours of 10pm and 6am). In this tutorial, we'll show you how to turn your configuration button into a, "favorites" button.
What You'll Need
To accomplish the above example, you'll need at least the following from a hardware perspective:
- Inovelli Red Series Switches and/or Lightstrip: On/Off, Dimmer, Fan/Light or Lightstrip
From a software perspective, you'll need to install some device handlers and setup SmartThings built-in SmartApp (Smart Lighting).
- Inovelli Products: Lightstrip, Red Series On/Off, Red Series Dimmer, Red Series Fan/Light
For this exercise, we'll be using SmartThings, "Smart Lighting" SmartApp, which is built into the SmartThings App. More on that below in the setup instructions.
Option #1 - Set to Favorite Dim Level
In this example, we'll set the config button to act as a favorite dim level button -- we'll make it so that every time you press the config button, your lights will turn onto 40%. (NOTE: On/Off switch will have to be set to make a dimmer switch or bulb a favorite dim level as the On/Off switch does not dim):
- Click on the three lines at the top left of the screen (to access the menu)
- Click on, "SmartApps"
- Click on the, (+) sign at the top right to add a SmartApp
- Scroll down and select, "Smart Lighting" and select it
- Click on, "New Lighting Automation"
- Click on, "Which devices do you want to control", and select your Inovelli Red Series Switch(es)
- Change, "What do you want to do?" to, "Turn On & Set Level" (ST App says, "Colour")
- Click on, "Dimmer Level" and select, "40%", then press, "Done"
- Click on, "Select Trigger", select, "Button" and press, "Done"
- Click on, "Which Button?", select your Inovelli switch, and press, "Done"
- Click on, "Button Number" and select, "Seven" and press, "Done"
- Click on, "Button Action" and select, "Pushed"*
- Ensure, "Toggle on & off" is turned off
- Press, "Next", followed by, "Next" again, and then, "Done"
NOTE for Fan/Light Switch:
By selecting Button 7 and, "Held" you are selecting the top of the light adjuster config button. Please see the Button Mapping Chart
to select the remaining 3 config buttons.
That's it -- now every time you want to let people know dinner is ready, you can triple-tap up on your Inovelli light switch and it will notify everyone with switch heads-up notifications, bulbs and lightstrips turning on.
Option #2 - Set Your Favorite Scene
In this example, we'll show you how to setup a scene where you press the config button and it will turn off all smart lights between the hours of 10pm and 6am for bedtime. Let's begin:
- Open up your SmartThings App to the main page
- Click on the three lines to the left of the screen to open up the menu
- Click on, "SmartApps"
- Press the plus, (+) sign to add a SmartApp
- Select, "Smart Lighting"
- Select, "New Lighting Automation"
- Click on, "Which devices do you want to control" and select the switches that you want to turn off
- Click on, "What do you want to do?" and select, "Turn Off"
- Next click, "Select Trigger", select, "Button" and click, "Done"
- Click on, "Which button?", select your Inovelli Red Series Switch and click, "Done"
In this example, since we want a double-tap down on your light switch (or double-tap on the, "Fan" portion of your Fan/Light Switch), go to the Button Mapping Chart
for your product and you'll see that a double-tap down (or double-tap on the, "Fan" portion of the Fan/Light) is, "Button 2 Held"
- Click on, "Button Number", select, "Seven" and click, "Done"
- Next click, "Button Action", select, "Held" and click, "Done"
- Turn, "Toggle on & off" to off
- Click, "Next" again
- If you want to rename the automation so you can easily remember it, feel free to do so -- if not, then click, "Done"
That's it! Feel free to test your scene.
Note for Fan/Light Switch: By selecting Button 7 and, "Held" you are selecting the top of the light adjuster config button. Please see the Button Mapping Chart to select the remaining 3 config buttons. Additional Note:
If you'd like to add additional components to your scene, you can create a separate Smart Lighting instance using the same steps above. Or if you'd like to have a SmartApp where you can set all your scenes from, please use ABC Button Control
How To: Set the Default Dim Level During Certain Times | SmartThings
Summary (TLDR) In this article, we'll talk about how to set our Gen 2 Red or Black Series Dimmer Switch to turn onto a default level during certain hours of the day. For example, if you don't want to blind yourself during your 2am bathroom run, you ...
How To: Dinner is Ready Notification | SmartThings
Overview This knowledge base article will show you how to set a notification to let yourself or others know when dinner is ready. This is helpful for when everyone is around watching the Detroit Lions lose on Thanksgiving and you want to let your ...
How To: Use the Configuration Button On Your Device (Gen 2 Dimmers)
Prerequisites Inovelli Model #'s: LZW31-SN (Red Series) and LZW31 (Black Series) Switch Configuration Settings: Parameter # # of Times to Press Config Button About Description Range Range Description Default Video 1 1 Dimming Speed How fast or slow ...
How To: Create the Ultimate Bedtime Scene | SmartThings
Overview In this article, we'll show you how a single button on a switch can prepare your entire house for bedtime. We'll show you how you can have your house lock all doors, turn off all lights, make sure your garage door is closed, and your ...
Installation & Setup | LZW30 | On/Off - Black Series (Gen 2) | SmartThings
This article will walk you through how to setup your Inovelli On/Off Switch (Black Series) from an in-wall installation to pairing it to your Samsung SmartThings Hub. For more advanced features such as Parameter Configuration, Device Handler ...