How To: Set the Default Dim Level During Certain Times | SmartThings
In this article, we'll talk about how to set our Gen 2 Red or Black Series Dimmer Switch to turn onto a default level during certain hours of the day. For example, if you don't want to blind yourself during your 2am bathroom run, you can have your lights turn onto 10% between the hours of 10pm and 7am. Here's how to do it using SmartThings (new app).
This feature is only available on our Gen 2 Dimmer switches (Black Series & Red Series). Before you begin, you must install the Switch Device Handler as well as the Child Device Handlers.
- Black Series Dimmer Device Handler or
- Red Series Dimmer Device Handler
- Switch Child Device
- Switch Level Child Device
Setting Up the Default Level in SmartThings
In this example, we'll setup the local default level to be 10% between the hours of 10pm and 7am. In other words, if you manually press the switch between the hours of 10pm-7am, it will turn onto 10%. Let's pretend you named your switch, "Master Bathroom".
- Open up the SmartThings App (new app)
- Click on your Inovelli Dimmer Switch (Black Series or Red Series)
- Click the three dots at the top right and select, "Settings"
- Then scroll all the way to the bottom and turn the toggle on where it says, "Default Level (Local)"
- Then click, "< Settings" to go back and then click, "<" to go back to the main menu
- Next, click the three lines at the top left and select, "SmartApps"
- Press the (+) button and select, "Smart Lighting"
- Scroll down and select, "New Lighting Automation"
- Select, "Which devices do you want to control?" and select, "Master Bedroom (Default Local Level)" and press, "Done"
- Select, "What do you want to do?" and press, "Turn On & Set Level"
- Click, "Dimmer Level", select "10%" and click, "Done"
- Under, "Select Trigger", select, "Switch"
- Click on, "Which switch?" and select, "Master Bedroom"
- Where it says, "Turn on & set level when" -- leave it to, "Turned On"
- Toggle off where it says, "Turn off as well"
- Click, "More options" and select, "Only during certain times"
- Leave, "Starting at" to, "A specific time"
- Click on, "Start time" and select, "10pm" (in the app it will be 22:00)
- Leave, "Ending at" to, "A specific time"
- Click on, End time" and select, "7am" and click, "Next"
- Click, "Next", "Done" and then, "Done" again
Test out your switch by tapping up on the switch. It should go to 10%. If you want to override it, hold down on the switch and it should go to 100%.