There are times where its more convenient to have a Smart Switch turn on from an action as opposed to having to tap a switch. Fortunately, this is an easy fix with a 4 in 1 Sensor and a Smart Switch. In this example setup, we will be using a Black Series On/Off Switch and the Inovelli 4 in 1 Sensor.
Setup in Rule Machine
Rule Machine is the go to for all things Hubitat. It can be used as simple or complex as you need it to be. Not to worry, this one is pretty easy.ings you will need:
- Inovelli LZW60 4 in 1 Sensor paired to Hubitat.
- Inovelli LZW30 Black Series On/Off Switch paired to Hubitat.
- A Hubitat Hub.
- Rule Machine app installed to your Hubitat.
Rule Machine Setup
Once you are in your Hubitat Home page go to Apps > Rule Machine > Create New Rule. Give it a name. We are going to call it "Master Bathroom Humidity Automation". (I also call this the don't fog my mirrors automation.) It should look like this at this point.
Creating the Trigger Event
Now that the initial setup is complete, lets create the trigger. Click on "Select Trigger Events". Scroll down till you find Humidity and click it. From there select the sensor you want to use. Typically the humidity will increase fairly quickly in a enclosed small space so I set it to be Greater than or Equal to 80. As you can see below, setting it much lower than that would make the fan kick on too often as it is reading 73% Humidity right now. Your setup should look similar to the screen shot below.
Creating the Action
Now that the trigger is complete, lets create the action. Click on "Select Actions to Run". In the drop down, select "Control Switches, Push Buttons". Select Toggle switches on. Select the switch you want to use (hopefully its the one that controls your bathroom fan) and then click Done with this Action. It should look like this below.
Finishing Up The Automation
With the Triggers and Actions complete, It should look like this below.
This ends up being a great automation and will help save your mirrors and walls from the dreaded humidity from a shower/bath.
- In the Device Page for my 4 in 1 sensor, I have adjusted the following settings:
- Humidity Reporting Interval was set to 480 Seconds.
- Its important to note that with the 8 minute refresh rate, it might take up to 16 minutes for the switch to kick on. For instance say your sensor reads 79% 5 minutes into your shower, based on these settings, your sensor would take an additional 8 minutes to kick on.
- In the Device Page for the Black Series On/Off Switch, I have adjust the following settings:
- Auto Off Timer was set to 600 seconds.
- This is preference here and allows for the fan to keep running and dispel the humidity in the bathroom without leaving the fan on forever after I leave the room.
As always, don't hesitate to leave any feedback or reach out with questions!